Sunday, June 07, 2009

My first loss...

In my life, I don't remember having lost anything. This is the first time I have lost something, and that too my wallet.

Here is the list of things I recollect having in my wallet:

1) Credit Card
2) Debit Card
3) Drivers License
4) Checking/Savings account numbers
5) MetroCard (81$)
6) SmartLink Card(54$)
7) Laundry card (15$)
8) Chicago Card (15$)
9) MetroCard (10$)
10) ~20$ Cash
11) Insurance card
12) Wage works
the following things I did not remember... until later...
13) Bj's free membership card
14) Vivek's Photo
15) Ganapati's Photo
16) Border's Card
17) Stop & Shop Card
18) Duane Reade Card

Losing it was not a big deal. The uncertainity of the contents of the wallet is what causes you to worry. The first thing I did was call up a friend and borrowed some money. Lucky me, my friends house was close by about 3 blocks. Borrowed 40$, and reached the station. Once I reached the station I bought the metrocard(20$), which could be used for both the path and mta. I had a glimmer of hope that I might get it.

After reaching JSQ, took a cab to my place. (8$). All I had was 12$ in cash and some change at my place. Guess it worked out around ~ 20$.

The first thing I did while reaching home was to cancel my credit card and my debit card. Remember you have to cancel your credit card first, because liability could be more. Because debit card requires a PIN. :)

The Chase guys mentioned that, I could get a temporary card from the local bank. hmm.. there was some hope to survive the next day.

Well, after the cross check of information got my card canceled. Then had to make sure none of my one line account payments bounced.
a) Airtel CallHome
b) T-Mobile bill ( payed using my bank account)
c) Skype account

Tried to cancel my wageworks card, could not find how to do it online. Was so tired, went to bed.

Next day, woke up pretty late. Called up my workplace and mentioned that I had to straighten things. Got some wishes for luck. hmmm that is a start. I did not have hope.

The first thing I needed was cash. The daily commute costs me about ~11$. So decided to go to the bank at JSQ.

I thought my company id was enough, so went to the bank and explained to him that I had reported the lost card and needed a temporary card. The clerk, asked for an id. I showed him my company id, he said that is a secondary id and he had to check with the manager. He came back after 5 mins and said that he cannot accept it, as the company id did not have any company name on it. He said he could accept a passport. I asked him how much time would it take to give me a temporary debit card, he said probably 2 mins. ~9:15 AM

With hope, promised him that I would be back with the passport. I went back home got my passport and reached the bank. Talked to the clerk, he was happy and asked for my social, pin and was getting ready to give my temporary card. That is when he realized that he could not give me a temporary card, because my account was opened at Illinois. He said that, the major operations like this(issuing a temporary card) could be done only at the bank at which the account was opened. So, much for the promise of getting a temporary card.

Then he offered me to get some cash from my account. At that moment I felt, it is my money and had to go through so much pain to get hold of it. So much for security. You are no-one without your ID cards.

Finally, withdrew 300$, nice way to start a monday morning huh!. Then I decided to go to the Van Houtte at Exchange place, which was the last place I took my wallet out.

I reached there and inquired, whether they had seen my wallet. The lady at the counter did not even bother to take much effort. She said nothing was found. ~10:15AM

Then I decided to file a report, with the appropriate precinct. I did not know where it was. Then I saw a cop and asked him where to file a report. He mentioned that I had to go to 207, 7th street(near New Port) I did not know where it was then.

Was looking for a cab, could not find one. Was walking back and forth, then I decided to get some water at the cart near the Hudson St & Christopher Columbus drive intersection. I was asking him where this place was and how to go there. The person (Ebrahim) said that he would take me there. I said, I would pay him. He is said, "It is not about the money". Somebody has to take you there. He seemed to be a bit busy. As I saw a couple of cab's I told him that I would take a cab, for that he replied, don't bother will leave in a couple of mins. ~10:30AM

I said ok. I still felt a bit weird, because I don't normally get into a car of a person I do not know. He drove me to the place, he was also not clear where the precinct was. He thought it was on 8th street. He was looking out for me, I said that I could figure it out. I asked him how much was it, he said it was 7$, it was a nominal charge. ( probably I should have tipped him, but I could not tip a person who helps me, I feel it is an insult). Finally he said, "I hope you get your wallet back". I said "I do not expect to get it back" . for that he replied "There is always hope, do not give up" (I know the quote that hope is a very strong thing from "Shawshank Redemption", but hearing from a different person , made me feel different )

There was something in the way he said. The words he said still keep ringing in my ears:
"It is not about the money".
"There is always hope, do not give up"

Finally I walked into the precinct for the first time in more than 3 years. I told the cop at the desk, that I had lost it yesterday night at the waterfront. She took all the details and filled out a form and it was all done it 5 mins. I thanked her and left to work. ~10:30AM

During the busy day, at 5:15 I received a call from a sergeant that someone has turned my wallet in. I was surprised. I still was not sure, that it was my wallet.

After work, went to the precinct. And voila, I saw my brown wallet.
(as I'm writing this and watching Cast Away, I saw an almost similar brown wallet in the hands of Tom Hanks, where he is checking out the contents of the wallet, does that mean something?)

It was all bagged in a evidence plastic bag, which was tamper resistant. It was a surprise. I was ecstatic. It looks like someone by the name "James" from 2nd Street a good Samaritan had returned my wallet. With my cash and cards and commuter cards intact. I got the contact details of the person, to send a thank you note.

Looking back, it gives me hope that there are good Samaritan's around the world... there is HOPE that this world will be a better place.












p.s: nobody has ever checked the contents in my wallet,except one, if you are reading this, you are one of the selected few to know what I carry in my wallet.



updated on Aug 1st 2009: looking back it was not really my first loss.. I have lost my bike key(some years before), a ring(this happened after I wrote this post... 07/18)...

1 Comments:

Blogger Diya said...

Hey Ramesh.. nice write up!! i liked the quote on hope too!!! how true!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home